A light to dark greenish gray color of perlite is found on the east side of the Dublin Hills, 2 miles west of Shoshone. Perlite is a volcanic glass used as a filler for plaster, rubber and paint; as an abrasive in soaps and cleansers; in filters, as an insecticide carrier, and soil conditioner. Ed Grimshaw, A. W. Stalker and Walter Davis own 21 claims collectively known as the Shoshone Perlite Deposit. In 1948 the claims were leased to Perlite Industries, Inc. This deposit and the entire perlite industry has been developed after World War II.