San Bernardino County:
HALLORAN SPRING GOLD MINES
The first evidence of gold mining in the Halloran Spring area is provided by a 1902 miners' map of the desert. This map shows "Hyten's" at the site of James Hyten's Wanderer Mine, and the "Mammoth" just southeast of Halloran Spring.
James Hyten, a resident of San Bernardino, continued to work the mine throughout the years, occasionally leasing it out. By 1930 there were a number of shallow shafts, the deepest being 125 feet. There was also a 20 ton per day capacity mill. With revived interest in the district following the discovery of gold at the Telegraph Mine in 1930, the group of 15 claims were leased to American Hellenic Gold Mining Co., of Las Vegas.
The Telegraph Mine, was discovered November 9, 1930 by A. A. Brown and Ralph Brown of Salina, Utah. One sample showed free gold in calcite and quartz and assayed up to $800 per ton in gold, they returned to Utah and interested Vivian and Robert Burns, who located a large number of claims. O. Perry Riker, of Long Beach, California leased the property from December 1932 to 1935. During this period, 220 tons of ore was milled and milled at the mill at Yucca Grove, three miles northeast of the mine. Also, 990 tons of ore was shipped for smelting. Total production was $35,200. The mine was idle in 1943 and by 1953 all equipment had been removed.