San Bernardino County Mining History
Like the nearby Standard Mine, the Teutonia Mine situated on Teutonia Peak two miles northwest of Kessler Springs was first
worked in 1896. One 50 foot deep shaft was sunk but was shortly abandoned due to lack of transportation. On May 14, 1906,
Charles Toegel discovered the old mine, interested some investors and formed the King Thebaw Mining and Development Company. The
company set to work building roads and erecting a small camp known as Toegel City. The camp consisted of residences, a general
store and blacksmith shop. From the fall of 1907 until at least 1909, about 100 tons of ore running up to 150 ounces per ton
silver was shipped from the mine. By the 1920s the shaft had caved in and filled with water.